Monday, February 13, 2012

There's Still Hope

Just got home from a long day at work. After, I went to go see an anti-valentine's day performance written by young play writers (8-11 grade students) in conjunction with the Young Playwright's Theater held at the GALA Hispanic Theatre in 14th Street NW (Columbia Heights area). 

OMGAH! That was the best theatre experience ever! Sure, there wasn't much of a set.. all they had was a bunch of chairs for the actors to sit... and most of the lines are read...but the quality of work that was put in to every performance was fantastic. And mind you, middle/high school kids wrote their own pieces (4 plays each written by 4 talented students). The lines were exceptionally delivered by the great actors/actresses..that I had to hug one actress after the show to show my appreciation of how good she was. 

I didn't expect much coming in, but was amazed by the fact that each student wrote a play and the quality of work that they put into it was awesome; better than other crap we see on films/television these days, with predictable plots, boring scenes, endless remakes, and the media's obsession with viper bull crap. I thought I'd never see another day when writers are actually producing work that is actually worth appreciating, till this day. And for that, I believe that there's still hope out there to revive what was once called entertainment. I truly believe that the children are our future, like what the late Whitney Houston said (or sang). I'm happy that there are programs out there like the In-School Playwriting Program that provides the tools and help for these young individuals to flourish their creativity and imagination through writing. Writing is the most basic task a person can do and yet, it's the most complex when one actually tries to write something out-of-the-box; may be through poetry, research paper, analysis, article piece (newspaper/magazine), playwriting, or even blogging! All of it requires critical thinking, patience, dedication, motivation, and a good amount of passion.

At the moment, I'm trying to really write more but I'm just so sleep deprived. It's been a long day. Overall, I'm glad that I made the decision to see the performance. I might try and volunteer at the theater and help out. I was going to try and act but they only do open auditions over the summer for its season productions; plus, I ain't no headshot! LOL. Anyway, I was really inspired by the performance tonight that it really made me think about my goals and aspirations in life. As one of the students said, "follow your dreams!" as corny as that may be. Heck, I believe in that and I'm going to follow my dreams. I know that I'll make it one day. One day, you will see. I will be a somebody!!!!! LOL. Have a great night ya'll! #Peace, Love, Happiness! XD :)

source: http://www.pamil-visions.net/category/entertainment/page/20/

No comments:

Post a Comment